<$BlogRSDUrl$>
Doce me faces voluntarem tuam quia Deus meus es tu

Tuesday, August 03, 2004
Hmmph. It's been too long since an update.

A few weeks ago, I was pointed in the direction this Ergun Caner editorial. Caner is a professor at Liberty University, and a former Sunni Muslim. Herein he takes on Michael Moore. Good for him, because as a former Turk raised in the Sunni tradition, he brings some much needed perspective to the debate. I particularly enjoyed this point:
"I would fight and die for a Muslim's right to build a mosque in every city in America. Our soldiers are fighting to gain such freedom for Iraqis and Afghans. These are not freedoms that Islam offers."
Excellent point. Yet here is my issue with Caner's op-ed. The article appeared on the Southern Baptist Convention's Baptist Press newsite and Crosswalk. I know that not everyone who reads those sites is a Republican or a Baptist or even a Christian. Yet I wonder why the message is not more prominent. It is not for censorship or newsroom politics; the internet and blogosphere have broken down any barrier against conservative or evangelical bias. The conservative press - NRO, the Weekly Standard, the American Spectator - does not shy away from these voices. So why are conservative evangelicals speaking in an echo chamber, preaching essentially to the choir?

On one hand, it is good to address points of foreign policy. One often gets the sense that while church folk are patriotic, they are social conservatives only who would vote for a Democrat administration if issues such as abortion and gay marriage were neutralized. People are busy, and working parents cannot often explore the blogosphere at the start of the day. So if pastors and Sunday school teachers get the truth on Michael Moore from Crosswalk, fine with me.

Yet I wish more evangelicals, like Proffesor Caner and Al Mohler, would find greater place within the conservative movement. Christians must guard against diluting the message of Christ, but I believe there is room at the table. Conservatism holds for different views: neocons vs. realist, opponents of the drug war vs. supporters and a certain degree of variety to the economy. While Mohler and Caner might hold stricter social views than, say, Neil Boortz, we're living under a pretty big tent. A man like Caner could provide a level of clarity to the voices of Michael Moore, Howard Dean and Al Franken. I should point out that he has made appearances with Sean Hannity on previous occasions. And maybe this is just a desire on my part to see one of my guys getting some recognition. I still believe it is time for greater evangelical interaction with the entire conservative movement. Men like Caner are opening doors; it's time we charge through them.

EDIT: The article in question did in fact appear on WorldNetDaily. That's good, very good; but I stand by my original point.
10:04 AM :: ::
<< Home
Matt :: permalink


|