<$BlogRSDUrl$>
Doce me faces voluntarem tuam quia Deus meus es tu

Sunday, October 24, 2004
So now for a late weekend update.

You know, Ron Zook gets a bad rap, but frat party or no, there's never excuse for losing to a 1-5 Mississippi State team. Congratulations, Coach Croom. You sure earned it.

And Mike Shula? So close, so close. You're almost there, Coach. You've got us believing. You've got three games left to show us something. We'll take two out of those final three. You can even pick which ones you win. Just do it...please?

I came back from a weekend in the Magnolia State for church in Tuscaloosa, some NFL watching, some Target, and some record selling and buying. Sold lots of old generic hardcore. Picked up the new Sufjan Stevens and the Innocence Mission's Befriended. Good pickups, and it didn't cost a dime.

I see that our man Rick is talking some punk rock nostalgia. Yeah, I didn't agree with Greg Graffin either, and still don't. But I'll tell you this much. When we were seventeen, rolling the windows down and singing along to "I Want to Conquer the World" was where it was at.

But I digress. Where was I? Oh, that's right. Health care. We've been having a go at it over at Writing to Understand. Look, I think it's terrible that some people don't have health care. As a Christian and an American, I feel for these folks. But I have to ask, as lovingly as I know how, whose fault is it? Is this the result of some freak act of nature; a hurricane, a tornado, an earthquake? Nope. Economists were saying twenty years ago that the manufacturing sector was in trouble. It shouldn't come as a surprise that technology and globalization finally caught up with some (no doubt) good-hearted folks in Ohio. My heart goes out to them, but does their plight warrant increased taxes on middle-class workers and high medical costs? It's not an easy thing, but the answer is emphatically no. Let the market loose to work its course. Let the Church rise up to care for the poor and needy, but keep the government out of our pockets and our doctor's offices. If someone can provide me with a scriptural argument in favor of high confiscatory taxes and weak medical care a la Canada and Great Britain, I'm all ears. Until then, I just don't find the idea to be tenable, or even morally acceptable.

On the crunchy con front, I noticed more city-dwellers with Kerry/Edwards signs in their yards. What's the deal? Maybe Rod Dreher can explore the idea when his crunchy con book comes out. Why is is that it's always liberals who want to keep the city alive? Republicans are the first one to flock to the suburbs, it seems. I wish that wasn't the case. I'm not knocking suburban life. For the most part, I've always lived in a suburban or slightly rural area. But you can't just abandon the city to the wolves. What is it about the GOP sensibility that puts us out in the 'burbs while the NPR crowd has the cool bugalow downtown? I wish I knew, because I'm afraid I'll find myself with some left-wing neighbors in a few years.

More later. I'll try to get into the Vote for Change tour and why the whole thing makes me long for KISS and Alice Cooper. Or Bach. Or Miles Davis. Or Jelly Roll Morton. Or Blind Lemon Jefferson. Or anyone but Natalie Maines and Eddie Vedder. I'll get to it, I promise.

Later ya'll.
4:50 PM :: ::
<< Home
Matt :: permalink


|