<$BlogRSDUrl$>
Doce me faces voluntarem tuam quia Deus meus es tu

Monday, November 29, 2004
Hugh Hewitt's must recent post goes into the new Tom Wolfe novel, and Hugh poses a question for the blogosphere: How many modern novels have you read? He goes on to pose the question to some noted bloggers, particularly bloggers who focus on military-foreign affairs issues and theogolical matters. It's a piercing question. Mark D. Roberts responded to Hewitt's inquiry. With all due respect to Dr. Roberts, I don't find the results to be particularly impressive. I realize the life of a pastor is incredibly busy, but A Christmas Carol and To Kill a Mockingbird are the stuff of junior high school. I would say that all Christians should dig into Flannery O'Connor's work, particularly the harrowing Wise Blood.

I hope that more diverse results are found, particularly among those who would be considered leaders of the conservative Christian intelligentsia. For my own part, I'm still reading more modern novels. Authors I've found to be particularly enthralling include: Don DeLillo, David Foster Wallace, Flannery O'Connor, James Joyce, David Sedaris, Tom Wolfe and Saul Bellow. I'm doing what I can to add to that list.

Scroll down Hewitt's original post for a growing symposium on the topic.
6:19 PM :: ::
<< Home
Matt :: permalink


|