<$BlogRSDUrl$>
Doce me faces voluntarem tuam quia Deus meus es tu

Wednesday, November 10, 2004
Soundtrack for this update is Steve Earle. Tonight promises fine pizza and good company, so let's get to it.

Our California friend Rick is composing a symposium of sorts on the Arlen Specter debate. I suppose on this end I should pull out a copy of The Clash's Combat Rock, and pretend Specter's singing "Should I Stay or Should I Go?" Anyway. I've come to the conclusion that I don't have much of an opinion on the matter. Call me undecided. Hey, I'm a swing voter! I jumped on the Dump-Specter bandwagon over at Rick's a few days ago, but I'm becoming increasingly ambivalent on the whole topic. See this thread for the goods. Since running my mouth on the topic, I've backed off slightly.

I back off on this principle: we should not upend Senate traditions and practices over a potential issue. I say potential, because life with Specter as Chairman hasn't even begun. Maybe all of conservatism is saying "Watch it, Bub," to Arlen, but I suppose there's no sense in upsetting the applecart at this point. However, I think it is somewhat naive to assume that Specter is really one of the good guys. Hint: he's not. The Bush administration would be foolish to trust the man any further than they could throw him. I don't imagine that Specter will be a particularly good Chairman, but I'll concede to Hugh Hewitt's point. The pro-life movement should back off, and work at the grassroots level if overturning Roe v. Wade is the ultimate goal. I will say that my concern wasn't so much the abortion issue; it was the overall moderate stance of Specter. Maybe I'm too ambivalent about abortion. I don't think I am, but like the rest of the keep Specter crowd, I realize that abortion may not be popular, but most folks want it legal. Forcing the issue this early into the Bush administration probably isn't the wisest course.

Specter's a rascal, but heck - he's our rascal. Keep the old man happy for now, but keep him on a very short leash.

Ok, scratch the opening lines. I'm not listening to Steve Earle anymore. The Winamp playlist has sent me to Janis Joplin to Bob Dylan to Radiohead to the Walkmen. And I guess I'm not a swing voter. I'm now in the keep Specter camp. It's a nice place. Everyone's from California, apparently, what with Rick and Hugh and all. Even Matt Feliska is from Arizona. Fun and sun and Arlen Specter. God bless the blogosphere.
5:36 PM :: ::
<< Home
Matt :: permalink


|