<$BlogRSDUrl$>
Doce me faces voluntarem tuam quia Deus meus es tu

Thursday, November 04, 2004
The weather finally became seasonable in Alabama today, just as the dust is starting to settled on this election. The more I think about it, the more I realize what a tremendous butt-kicking was served to the Democrats on Tuesday. More on that in a minute. I should say that further reflection has also shown the graciousness and dignity in Senator Kerry's concession speech. His language was moving and his emotions where genuine. I hope he continues in that path from here on out, sticking to his principles - such as they are - and yet demonstrating an amicable spirit. Jay Nordlinger makes further points in his column this morning. Senator Edwards, on the other hand, was downright shameless. Everyone knows he plans a run for the Presidency in '08, but the laundry list of downtrodden focus groups can wait a few weeks. Today we learn that his wife has breast cancer. So despite my political disagreements, and they are indeed many, I offer up a prayer for his wife's safe recovery.

There's a lot to be said about how and why W won in such convincing fashion. I still think that the bulk of this country voted their concerns in the war on terror. Yet it's becoming increasingly obvious that values played a major role. Not homsexuality, Andrew. Values. Al Mohler talks it up on his column this morning. It's not about homosexuality. It's about religion:

Religious faith--and Christian faith in particular--is the most effective predictor of red and blue identity. As the Harwood and Schlesinger research indicated, churchgoers voted overwhelmingly for George W. Bush, with the rate of church attendance being the single most effective predictor of a vote for the Republican candidate.

It's really simple. Evangelicals will not vote for an ardently pro-choice candidate. Rural and suburban voters, the suburban voters often being one generation away from the rural areas, just aren't going to vote for a guy who needs to go geese hunting to show his credentials. No matter how many people watch Will & Grace, a huge chunk of this country doesn't live that way. Most of America lives in this middle world, where we shop at J. Crew and Pottery Barn occasionally. We go to church. We watch college football. We might watch Friends or Will & Grace, but we probably don't live like Monica and Chandler. I don't think I'm alone in saying that I'm more than willing to talk about legal arrangements for gay couples, but I darn sure don't want gay marriage imposed on Alabama by an unelected judge. I don't hunt, but I know a boatload of folks who do. I saw right through Senator Kerry's talk about crawling around to deer hunt. I like Bruce Sprinsteen, but I don't want him telling me how to vote. Bon Jovi was lame in 1989. He ain't much better now. And Senator, write this down. Take a little note. Whoopi Goldberg is not the heart and soul of America.

Someone could write a book about this. If this blog thing pans out, I just might. We're not lock-step Baptist-Nazis waiting to send the homos off to Pentecostal camp. We don't demand that our President know the history of NASCAR. Lord knows I don't. Wait, yes I do. But we do not want to be catered to. Our beliefs exist from our own American culture and our Christian faith. We didn't vote for George W. Bush because he became like us. We voted for him because he is like us. Truth be told, a lot of us voted for Bill Clinton and Al Gore because they both did a pretty good job of leading us to believe that they were, too.

Learn it, Democrats. Understand it. America is more than Manhattan and Georgetown and Beacon Hill and Berkeley. It's more than Austin and Boulder. It's Birmingham and Kansas City and Denver and yes, heaven help them, Knoxville. Understand what life is like out there. Watch a movie like Friday Night Lights. Read a book on Christianity. I'd start with Ravi Zacharias or John Maxwell or Max Lucado. Listen to some country music. Except Daryl Worley. He's terrible. Know that I paraphrased George Strait in the paragraph above. Spend a July week in Destin or Gulf Shores. Spend a weekend in Tuscaloosa or Oxford. Go to a football game. It ain't hard folks. Just understand us. Adjust yourselves accordingly, and you might win a seat in the Senate back sometime in the next two decades.

But I'm not holding my breath.
6:06 PM :: ::
<< Home
Matt :: permalink


|