<$BlogRSDUrl$>
Doce me faces voluntarem tuam quia Deus meus es tu

Thursday, June 09, 2005
It's funny how things stick with us. How we hear of people or places or things at one point in our life and years later they become very important to us. When I was in high school, early on - like ninth or tenth grade - I began to discover this music scene full of artful, creative Christians making beautiful music that honors Christ without being overt and preachy. I heard about bands like Over the Rhine and the Innocence Mission and thought they were the apex of all that is good in the musical world, at least based upon the reviews and the comments I heard.

Now I'm twenty-three and living on my own, and the Innocence Mission is one of my favorite bands. That doesn't necessarily mean anything except that I went close to five or six years without paying any attention to the band. Maybe it's the way things come full circle...the things that catch our eyes when we're young and (relatively) innocent are often the things that end meaning the most to us later in life.

When I wrote the other day about measuring life out with markers - football games, weddings, movies, whatever - I wasn't kidding. I wonder about that sort of thing often. What's worse is this: I'm washing my hair this morning and looking at the shampoo bottle and realizing that it's pretty full, but I wondered any way what life is going to be like in another month or two when I have to buy new shampoo. Is it possible, on some level, that my life will be largely the same? Will it markedly different in some happy or tragic sense? Or will I find myself in the middle of change and fluctuation?

Speaking of change and fluctuation, the fight for freedom is alive and well in Iran. Regime Change Iran and Enough! have more, with pictures of riots and revolts. I don't encourage wanton violence, but when people begin to resist an oppressive, totalitarian regime, I cheer. I hope soon the leaders of the Western nations - President Bush, John Howard, Tony Blair, et al. - find the courage to speak on behalf of the Iranians and Egyptians and Syrians longing to be free. I hope our leaders agree to begin tightening the noose around the Sudanese leadership in hopes of ending the suffering in Darfur. I hope the Christian leaders of the West - the Pope and Protestant leaders - will find a place to call for democracy and freedom. I often agree with evangelical leaders like James Dobson on things like the judicial system, but I wish once that he would speak out on behalf of those who cannot speak, as opposed to consistently being caught up in every Congressional turf battle.

Faster, please.
9:26 AM :: ::
<< Home
Matt :: permalink


|