<$BlogRSDUrl$>
Doce me faces voluntarem tuam quia Deus meus es tu

Monday, June 27, 2005
Yesterday was a good day. Sundays around Tuscaloosa are always nice, because everything is so quiet. After church I came home, ate lunch and watched the Braves finish a sweep of the Orioles.

Later in the afternoon I left the house for a while. I stopped by the library to pick up a few things. In the book department, I walked away with Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro and Death on a Friday Afternoon by Richard John Neuhaus. Never Let Me Go has been highly acclaimed during the last few months. I'm only three chapters in to the novel, but I'm already hooked. Ishiguro is a master of subtlety and nuance, as I first came to see in The Remains of the Day. What a superb novel. I except I'll finish this one quickly, as it's simply too captivating to ignore.

Neuhaus' work is one that I am interested to explore. Being a Protestant, it's likely I'll find some points of disagreement with Fr. Neuhaus. That said, he's a highly respect scholar and the book comes with strong endorsements, so it's worth reading. I also checked out a cd of Mozart pieces. Very good, though I'm still trying to understand classical music. My final selection was Art Blakey's collaboration with Thelonious Monk. This is terrific music. I've always regarded jazz as existential in that it lauds the moment and the mood in a way that perhaps no other music does. Having said that, bebop has such tremendous staying power. It still sounds fresh and exciting nearly fifty years after the sound began to develop. Monk's piano playing blends perfectly with the drumming of Blakey and the horns and bass of the rest of the group. No one player is overempasized or ignored. Monk plays like one of the group, and this group is simply tremendous.

Last night was hangout time. Always good and refreshing. Too bad I nearly fell asleep in the most comfortable chair in the world.

Here's a very interesting post about Pablo Picasso, a painter about whom I have some very mixed emotions. Sort of like Pablo Neruda, who managed to write some decent enough love poetry, but also thought Stalin hung the moon. Not quite, but Stalin did hang about 20 million peasants.

The state of Illinois divested itself from the Sudan
. A move in the right direction.

Lastly, I've added new links. More are on the way and, as always, the presence of the link is not an endorsement of its content. If you're from out of state (or in, for that matter), check out the Alabama Resources. All kinds of interesting stuff: outdoor gear, enviromental awareness, coffee, clothes and more.
8:15 AM :: ::
<< Home
Matt :: permalink


|