<$BlogRSDUrl$>
Doce me faces voluntarem tuam quia Deus meus es tu

Thursday, July 21, 2005
I'm sure that in another day or two I'll be able to write something of length and substance, but in the meantime, I'm going to talk about one of my favorite things: books.

Right now I'm reading a handful of books. I'm only reading one piece of fiction; Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro. What a masterful novel. Ishiguro's storytelling capability is superb, and while the book is by no means preachy, the author raises some very important questions about the use of genetics and medical ethics. I really can't recommend this book enough. I'm going to try to finish reading it this weekend. Mainly because I really like it, but also because it's already three days late to the library. In addition to Jurassic Park, this may be one of the most important novels to deal with the issue of genetic manipulation.

In the area of nonfiction, I'm almost finished with The Cost of Discipleship. Bonhoffer has been good for me as he reminds me of the need for community and the willingness to follow Christ at all costs. Perhaps this explains my growing boredom concerning politics? Maybe. At any rate, I'm reminded in this work that my true treasure is in Christ, that I don't need a lot of worldly possessions and that any call to believe in Jesus is ultimately a call to follow Him. The other book I'm reading, and this one is also late to the library, is Death on a Friday Afternoon by Father Richard John Neuhaus. As a non-Catholic, I obviously disagree with some of Neuhaus' arguments concerning Mary and a few of his anecdotes on mercy. Having said that, when he's on, Neuhaus is on. I'm sure I'll say more about this later, but his understanding of our inability to understand and know ourselves outside the confines of a knowledge of our Creator (and truly, thus, our Savior) is unparalleled. The prose is elegant and sweeping, and, whether I agree or not (and my disagreements are not minor, mind you), this is a marvelous book.

I'm also going out of town in another week or so. I'm taking three books with me, which will (hopefully) be enough to sustain me. The choices are Brennan Manning's The Ragamuffin Gospel, C.S. Lewis' The Great Divorce and Flannery O'Connor's The Violent Bear It Away. Other books that I'm perusing on ocassion are Notes From a Small Island by Bill Bryson, Russell Kirk's The Conservative Mind and Miles Gone By by the great William F. Buckley, Jr.

And of course I'm reading The Chronicles of Narnia. What fun books. I can't wait to share them with some wide-eyed young 'uns one day.

I have also learned to play dominoes recently. Thank goodness there was no money in it, because I am not good.
7:25 PM :: ::
<< Home
Matt :: permalink


|