<$BlogRSDUrl$>
Doce me faces voluntarem tuam quia Deus meus es tu

Thursday, October 20, 2005
Two nights ago I had the pleasure of hearing a concert by the Tuscaloosa Community Singers. What a marvelous performance, a collection of pieces by Vaughn Williams, Bach, Beethoven, Mozart, Brahms, Durufle, Faure, and Thompson. The interesting thing for me is that all of the works were sacred in their nature. The translated verses were beautiful renditions of Scripture, prayers to God in thanks and praise. I do not expect that this sort of music be present in church every Sunday, but I should be sad to see it depart from the cultural conscience of the modern Church. I am not attacking Christian music or modern worship tendencies in and of themselves, but if this great music of Mozart and Bach becomes something for old men with their pipes and cardigans, relics studied by professors and played only on NPR, then we are the worse for it.
9:30 AM :: ::
<< Home
Matt :: permalink


|