<$BlogRSDUrl$>
Doce me faces voluntarem tuam quia Deus meus es tu

Sunday, July 23, 2006
Lori and I were talking the other day, and it occurred to both of us that I have not bought a cd since sometime in March. That's close to five months; a terribly long time by my standards. My last purchase was Neko Case's Fox Confessor Brings the Flood, for what it's worth. A great album.

At any rate, the biggest thing is that I haven't even noticed. I hardly feel like I'm missing out on anything new when I can have Neil Young and Van Morrison, circa 1972, blow me away. Even the modern bands I listen to - Belle and Sebastian, Yo La Tengo, Wilco, Low - have been around for over a decade. My favorite punk band, AVAIL, is full of guys pushing forty, and while I found a new punk/hardcore band to enjoy, Modern Life is War, I can hardly listen to more than a few songs without wanting to hear something slower and easier on the ears.

Maybe it's age, maybe it's cynicism, maybe I'm too concerned with helping Lori get all of this wedding business finished. I remember a time when one of my friends would pick up a record by some punk or garage band - Screeching Weasel, the Dead Kennedys, Murder City Devils, Fugazi - and all of us felt like our lives had been changed in some fundamental fashion. There existed among us a new outlet for our frustrations, whether social or age-based. We knew that there were kindred spirits for our sixteen year-old angst, but now we're far more reflective, I suppose. No more Bad Religion and Minor Threat, but now we're amazed by Sufjan Stevens. That's not a bad thing at all, but I find that I'm far less motivated to jump off Casey's deck and into the pool or take a flip of a stack of speakers.

Probably for the best nowadays, though I'm glad that some people are still holding on.

Speaking of Lori, she needs to haul it out of the mountains and back to Northport. Safely, of course, but it'll be nice to see her on Tuesday.
7:33 PM :: ::
<< Home
Matt :: permalink


|