<$BlogRSDUrl$>
Doce me faces voluntarem tuam quia Deus meus es tu

Monday, October 09, 2006
iMonk at the BHT passed along this moving piece by Ben Witherington III concerning the Amish tragedy of last week. He has much good to say about the power of forgiveness and the need to turn the other cheek. But Dr. Witherington decides to also make an argument for pacifism, and I'm afraid he goes flat. In the comments, he speaks of diplomacy being the best option.

Diplomacy with whom? The United Nations? The same cesspool of corruption that found Sudan an adequate member of the Human Rights Commission? We've tried diplomacy with North Korea, and now they've tested a nuclear weapon. Does Dr. Witherington suggest we continue our diplomatic talks with the madman of Pyongyang? I won't go into it, but needless to say there are countless historical examples one could bring up when questioning this logic.

I must confess that foreign affairs is one area where, at times, I have questions of faith. How do the teachings of Jesus apply when faced with Hezbollah or Iran or North Korea or...you get the idea. I don't want to be a warmonger, but nor do I want to ignore the threats that we face in this new world. I'm afraid that pacifism, even Christian pacifism, isn't a sufficient answer.
8:58 AM :: ::
<< Home
Matt :: permalink


|